Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

#TheQuench: 'Glee' Star Amber Riley Shines Off Broadway


Mercedes is all growed up!

ET Online/Jarett Wieselman

Life does continue after "Glee" and Amber Riley is proof!

This starlet is receiving rave reviews for her outstanding performance in the off  Broadway show, "Cotton Club Parade" which wrapped up last night in New York City. The show celebrates the music of Duke Ellington and his influence on the Harlem nightclub. After a spectacular opening night, she sat down with ET Online to dish on the show and what's next:
ETonline: Why did you want to be a part of this production?
Riley: First, having Wynton Marsalis' [musical director] name attached to it and getting the opportunity to meet him was number one. I am obsessed with The Cotton Club era, Duke Ellington's music and everything that happened there. Dianna [Agron] actually got me a record player for my birthday, and all I listen to it is Duke Ellington, Lena Waters, Lena Horn and Dorothy Dandridge. All those wonderful singers. I'm just obsessed with that era – even the costumes, it was such a glamorous time.
ETonline: How does this compare to the Glee tour?
Riley: It's almost the same thing. Once you're out there, there's no "cut!" The tour was on a larger scale, but I've never danced as hard as I do in this. I break it down a little bit. People are going to be really surprised. I heard people in the audience go, "Oh?!?" It was hilarious.

ETonline: Is that the goal with this next phase of your career; to show them there's more to you than just Mercedes?
Riley: Yeah. I loved playing Mercedes on Glee; she's a fun character to play and I got to sing the diva songs, but I get to play an adult here. Even though I'm just singing in Cotton Club, I'm also acting in it. There's a story with my character. I feel completely different from Mercedes when I'm doing this. I feel like a woman and it's amazing. 
I'm lovin' this girl! I hope that she continues to shine and reach new heights in her career. As usual, I shall be standing by.

See original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment